Working at Aberystwyth University
Aberystwyth University has a community of over 2,000 staff and 13,000 undergraduate, postgraduate, part-time and distance learning students from across the globe. We have also over 80,000 alumni who together form a fantastic resource for the University.
About the University
Founded in 1872, University College Wales, Aberystwyth was the first university in Wales, later becoming a founder member of the University of Wales in 1894.
Aberystwyth University’s has six academic Institutes, supported by Professional Service departments.
Adjoining the main campus is the National Library of Wales, one of only six copyright Libraries in the UK and an invaluable resource to students and research staff.
Teaching and Research
Aberystwyth University has a strong research profile, with 95% of research activity being internationally recognised standard or higher, with world leading research (4*) identified in all 17 Units of Assessment submitted (Research Excellence Framework 2014). Furthermore, Aberystwyth University submitted the highest percent rage of REF eligible staff in Welsh Universities.
Particular highlights include:
- International Politics Research Quality ranked in Top 10 UK and first in Wales for research quality;
- Institute of Biological, Environmental and Rural Sciences ranked in Top 10 UK by research intensity;
- Geography and Earth Science, first in Wales for Research Quality, and in Top 10 UK by Research Power.
Investing in the Future
We are investing over £100m in enhancing and extending our already excellent residential and teaching facilities. This is an exciting time to join our team as we invest in:
New £45m Student Residences at Fferm Penglais, providing excellent accommodation for our students, all within walking distance of our main campus.
Mauritius Branch Campus, opened in October 2015, is providing our highly regarded UK University Education on the beautiful island of Mauritius delivered by a combination of Aberystwyth, local and international academic staff.
Innovation and Enterprise Campus: Aberystwyth University with the support of the Welsh Government and the Biotechnology and Biological Sciences Research Council are developing an internationally recognised facility to attract research funding for researchers and industry can undertake collaborative research to boost the bio-economy.
New Life for Old College, where we are exploring the redevelopment of the University’s original home on the seafront.
Employees at Aberystwyth University can benefit from:
- 36.5 hour week;
- 27 days annual leave, plus bank holidays and closed days;
- Generous pension schemes with employer contributions;
- Incremental pay progression;
- Tax and national Insurance savings on childcare vouchers and Cycle to Work scheme;
- Flexible Benefits scheme, including purchase of additional annual leave and flexible working;
- Discounted Sports Centre Membership;
- Discounts at University hospitality outlets.
Aberystwyth University has achieved:
- Top four University in the UK and best University in Wales for Student Satisfaction (NSS 2016);
- One of the top 40 Universities in the UK (Times Higher Education UK University League table);
- Safest University in Wales, and top ten in the UK (Complete University Guide 2015;
- Athena Swan Bronze Award, recognising good practice in recruiting, retaining and promoting women in Science;
- Technology, Engineering, Medicine and Mathematics;
- Corporate Health Standard Silver award;
- Two ticks symbol;
- Recognised on the Stonewall Workplace Equality Index;
- NUS Green Impact Award;
- QAA UK Quality Assured.